Check out this page for a description of different types of Pis and it's history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Setting up the OS on a Raspberry Pi
When you first get a Rasperry Pi you need to setup the operating system on a micro SD card. You will download the ZIP for the operating system and either copy over the files to the SD card (NOOBS) or use an imager to do the installation (Raspbian).
Here is a guide to help set up: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up
Here is the official operating system with an installation guide: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Connecting to wifi networks on campus
Connecting to wifi on campus can be difficult. You can connect to your phone or laptop if you turn on a hotspot, you can connect to eduroam by configuring it in the Pi or you can connect to an IOT (Internet Of Things) network called UOdevices by providing your Pi's MAC address.
Setting up a hotspot with a PC: https://www.howtogeek.com/214080/how-to-turn-your-windows-pc-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot/
Setting up a hotspot with a MAC: https://www.howtogeek.com/214053/how-to-turn-your-mac-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot/
Setting up a hotspot with a smart phone: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-turn-your-phone-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot
You will need to go into the network settings of the Pi to configure the eduroam parameters.
- Navigate to the folder etc/wpa_supplicant/ (cd /etc/wpa_supplicant/).
- Open the wpa_supplicant.conf file (sudo nano wpa_supplicant.conf).
- Add the lines below to the file, then save and close it.
- You may need to restart the Pi for the changes to take effect
identity="USERNAME" (your email)
password="PASSWORD" (your uozone password)
This network covers STEM, CBY and SITE.
- You will need the MAC address of the Pi so that your device can be registered and approved to use the UOdevices network, here is how: https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/06/finding-the-mac-address-of-a-raspberry-pi/
- Once you have the MAC, please send it to [email protected] so it can be given to our IT department.
- When the MAC has been added, you will be able to connect to it in the same way as the Eduroam network with the ssid UOdevices and [email protected] will also be able to give you the password.